Skip to main content

Posts

So - what next?

Recent posts

Final adjustments and closing project

It has been some weeks since last update of my Corvette blog. I have done about 160 km (100 miles) by now since motor was back in car. I have also been two weeks in US on vacation. The final tune and last parts bought took some days to get - so two weeks vacation in US was the right thing to do ;-)
As part of transmission overhaul I also installed an external gear oil cooler which was installed "after" the internal gear oil cooler in radiator. In one of my testruns I blew one of the cooler hoses and sprayed a couple of litres of transmission oil on the street. End of that story was going home by rescue car and dumped the external cooler. Bought another external gear oil cooler with termostat and fan. The new external cooler bypass the internal gear oil cooler. 
After the first start of engine (including a couple of start/stop to get enough transmission fluid into the transmission and checking for any leaks of fluid) I ran the engine in garage for about 20 minutes in 2000 rp…

First real trip with car

Today I picked up the car at the transmission workshop. Last week I had only first gear and reverse gear.  On my first testdrive the transmission just shifted from first gear into neutral when it should shift to second gear. Thew car was transported to the workshop last week, and they dropped the pan of the transmission (TH700R4) and checked whatever they had to check. It was this workshop which fully overhauled and strengthen the transmission - transmission is still under warranty. Anyway - they could not find any obvious reason why transmission would not shift from first to second gear. Put every thing together and out for a testdrive. And now the transmission shifts gear as it is supposed to do. And when problemed was sorted out - my first 30 minutes real ride with car (from transmission workshop and back home). And everything seems to work fine. I might have a to high AFR. I have installed a Innovative Motorsports wideband lambda and it shows a to high AFR. I have some exhaust le…

Engine started

At last and after 6 months of work (mid september 2011), today Friday 4 of May 2012 I started the new engine for first time. And the engine fired at first attempt. Still there are some work to do. More checking, continue breaking in, more checking and so on.. Anyway - engine is running and a major milestone is achieved..





Update 11 May : The engine seems to be running fine. I have some problems with the transmission. The transmission (a TH700R4), which is fully overhauled and strengthen, does not shift to second and third gear. For the moment I have only first and revers. I thought there were som problems with the TV-cable - but it is not. The workshop which did the job on the transmission is local - they will of course fix the problem for me.


I`m also installing Innovative wideband lambda in the Vette (for AFR). I will also do a TTS Datamaster logging on the engine.

Engine installed

Today I commenced installing engine in car. It took me about 12 hours to bolt engine to engine mounts and install and bolt the C-beam. I started to install the C-beam by one bolt onto the differential. After that I used the "elephant" to lift the engine and carefully lowered it in the engine bay.  There are not much space in a C4 engine compartment and I had to remove the serpentine belt to get the engine in place. I supported the transmission by jack when connection the transmission and driveshaft. When engine was standing onto the engine mounts I slided the C-beam into place. During this process I supported the transmission and by end of day all bolts was entered. I will torque the bolts tomorrow.

Update April 20 : Engine and transmission are back in Covette. Exhaust pipes (Melrose Longtube headers and BB-TriFlow 3" exhaust) are installed. Engine is prepared with oil (normal mineral oil for engine break-in process) and transmission fluid. The main remaining now are i…

Engine moved to garage

Engine was assembled in-house (it was not without comments ..). My garage is to cold and to smal for any work on engine, specially during the winter . With only new engine parts assembling engine in-house was no problem regarding any dirt or oil. And it was warm and pleasant sitting in my sofa assembling - I can recommend it ;-) The only worry was how to move the engine out in the garage when due. Today I decided to move it. Couple of hours later and without any assistance - engine is ready for going into car.


I will install engine in car on Saturday. Hopefully it will go in as easy as it came out. 





Engine and trans ready for car

"Moment of truth" is getting closer. Today engine and transmission were bolted together. The torque converter should not be "pressed" on the flexplate (will probably eat up thrust bearings if done). After gearbox and engine were bolted together the torque converter and flexplate were bolted. Before bolting flexplate and converter I had to slide the converter about 10 mm against flexplate. Important to use correct torque on both bellhouse and flexplate bolts. Engine going back into car after easter.




The flexplate (TCI flexplate for internal balanced engines) was bolted on crank. The engine was supported on the engine mounts and block.